Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Caffeine memories and journalism jet lag

Yesterday was such a whirlwind, I had to process and blog this morning before we begin anew! Yesterday was great; I was reminded of my college days, living on caffeine and no sleep. Ironically, that is when I work best...the pressure and thrill of the chase in combination is the best.

The photoshop session was the most useful and the lead writing session was the most insightful. I really used my notes when writing my coverage of Downie's session. Reading newspaper stories;how they draw you in, how they keep your attention, what works/what doesn't is the best way to learn the writing of a news story and I know that may seem common sense to most of you, but for me, it was a moment:) I tend to try to do too much in the first paragraph and yesterdays sessions on lead writing helped me with ideas to focus students as well as be a better writer of my own all around. The photoshop session is priceless. I have trouble just uploading images so that was the best thing that could have happened to me yesterday!

I am at my beloved Starbucks now getting a start on the caffeine. Today will be both a challenge and a reward, like most days, because I am a perfectionist with my writing. The thought of having editors pick it apart does bring a knot in my stomach, but I can't wait to see what they have to say! Day 3 here I come! :)


Alyssa Carnley
Harrison High School
Kennesaw, Georgia

2 comments:

  1. What would we do without caffeine? It keeps journalists moving-even since the early days of newsprint-always a media staple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed the photography session as well Alyssa. I loved Rob Schumacher's quote, "Get close enough to humiliate yourself." I completely intend to use it in my photojournalism class. Too many times my students are afraid to get up in the action to take the great photos! Sometimes they just need a little push! :)

    ReplyDelete