Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's been an amazing experience!



It feels like only yesterday that we were nervously preparing to take notes at and write our first article about the keynote address by Leonard Downey Jr.  Photo by Nicki Yokota

I'm tired and absolutely wrung out to dry. Volunteering to be a top editor was crazy and I knew it when I sent Steve the email. I know I'm a newbie in journalism and that my editing skills are laughable right now. But I also know I can't ask my students to do something I'm unwilling or unable to do. That was my motivation for volunteering, scary as the experience has been.

That being said, I want to thank my fellow editors - Meghan, Nate and Leslie. It was the best possible team I could've envisioned being on and you guys made the experience a great one.

To those who offered to help in a variety of ways, heartfelt thanks because you didn't have to spend the extra time working on this. I will tell you that your support really boosted our spirits and helped to get everything done in a timely manner.

About Steve. What is there to say? My article was dripping with so much red ink, it even astounded Alan who translated scribbles on the paper.

But I will admit that there is something really caring in Steve's nature that made it hard for me to take anything personally. Maybe I'm wrong but I've always felt that Steve was in my corner thinking that I had potential, and I hope that I've proved him right in some small way.

Huge thanks to Alan, Anita and Monique. You have been there to answer questions, offer support and make sure I didn't have to worry about anything other than what I could fit in between my ears. I really appreciate it.

Finally to the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, to ASNE and to The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at ASU, a huge thank you for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I leave Phoenix with high hopes that I now know what needs to be done to improve the quality of my newspaper class back home and how to make it happen.

Nicki Yokota
St. Margaret's Episcopal School
San Juan Capistrano

3 comments:

  1. Nickie, thank YOU and your team for being willing to give of your time to assist and make this publication happen. I have to agree with you on all accounts regarding the experience. I know you will do a fabulous job with your school newspaper this year, and I hope I can connect with you along the way and hear all about it.

    Jamalee Moret
    Alhambra High School
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nickie,

    I will miss your supportive words.
    Everyone did such a great job! I am thankful to be part of a great editing team. This experience has really changed my life.

    Meghan Brannon-Reese
    Houston, TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicki and all: I hope the red marks aren't seared into your brains as you leave. When the marks involve even just a little reorganization, which was the case here, they pile up. I thought all of the stories were well conceived and well reported. In my humble opinion, the level of journalism in the Cronkite Chronicle is quite high.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete