Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's all in the presentation


At times I believe I am more like my students than I care to admit. I know I become apathetic when I am overwhelmed and I know I am distracted by bright and shiny things. So, when a presenter comes forth and tells us he is to present to us about law or text, I get restless just thinking about it.
However, Frank Lomonte was able to keep me pleasantly entertained as he discussed the importance on student law issues. And Tracy Collins held me with is expertly designed Keynote presentation, not to mention the doughnuts.
I realize that someone could give the directions on living forever, but if it wasn't presented in fashion for me to understand, I would miss it. I know we fall into the trap of trying to entertain our students too much, but a little excitement makes it fun for all.

Ryan Ludwig
Spanish Springs HS
Sparks/Reno Nev.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you, Ryan, and I'll add one more instance where I got the student's POV -- peer editing. I find it hard to edit my peers' work when I'm not in a position of authority or being paid for it. So why should it surprise me that kids are reluctant to red-pencil their friends' work? Must think of better ways to present the task to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit a secret - I like being a student as much as I like teaching. It allows me to learn new "stuff", but it also puts me in their shoes for a while. This Institute is mountain-top quality in terms of training - you won't find better. But really, all workshops, etc. have given me something to experience that I take back to the class. It ends up making my teaching better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I've been fighting to stay awake almost everyday... no reflection on the presenters or the topics. I'm simply still "on eastern time." I had never even thought about that before coming out here, and I definitely didn't know it could be this bad. I've loved every moment. I've learned a lot, but the donuts and funny fellows sure have helped me through it!

    Jenese Giles
    Northeast High School
    Oakland Park, Fla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with the "shiny things" argument, Ryan. Anyone who can inject clips of Monty Python into their presentation gets bonus points in my opinion...I frequently use such things to break things up for my freshmen, and I think it works for most of us, too!

    I really need to get a copy of that "incinerate" animation Mr. Collins used for "bad" stuff.

    Zach Anderson
    Indian River HS - Philadelphia, NY

    ReplyDelete