Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fellows come together for institute publication

It's almost here. The day our Cronkite Chronicle all comes together, but not without some intense work on Wednesday during our deadline work time.

One of the aspects of this institute that I have enjoyed so much is how we are told how to do something in a regular class setting and are immediately thrust into that real life situation as we prepare to complete a project.

From the story ideas, to the interviewing process, through the writing of the story and the editing, each step has built upon the next and soon we will have our completed publication online and ready for the world to see.

I have enjoyed how we have all been able to work as individuals, in small teams and as a large group. Today I even found myself in the role as "adviser" as different people were trying to post their stories online or work with photos or InDesign. Just that taste of being the adviser-even if it was for a minute or two showed me that I am ready to take all of this information back and apply it to my classroom.

Though it has been a stressful couple of days, I am glad that this institute has been more than a sit and get and even though we have been challenged, we have all come through on the other side as better and more prepared advisers...well, I guess I'll see if I've come through after I get my edited article tomorrow!

Kim Vinh, adviser at Sequoia High School in Redwood City, Calif., helps Brent Manuel, adviser at Pleasant Valley High School in Chico, Calif., edit his article for publication. Vinh and Manuel, 2010 ASNE Reynolds Institute Fellows, were working on articles for the institute's online publication, Cronkite Chronicle. (Photo/Laura Schwinn)


Laura Schwinn
Emporia High School
Emporia, Kan.

2 comments:

  1. I have also learned so much from the classroom instruction immediately followed by real-life application. I'm excited about how I can use this technique in journalism -- and intrigued with the possibilities of using it in Freshman English. Any ideas?

    Sarah Geyer
    South-Doyle High School
    Knoxville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    Thank you for helping me through all of the steps to posting my story online. You are clearly a fabulous teacher, because you are patient enough to deal with all of my foolishness. I'm lucky to have made such a wonderful friend like you.

    ReplyDelete