Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Talking to our bosses

Kristen Gilger, Associate Dean at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, talked to us about talking to our bosses, our principals. She had a lot of
useful tips for talking to our principals.

Some of the fellows had the nerve to get up in front of the class to act out some scenarios for us about talking to our principals about publishing controversial articles and other things.

We all were able to think about how our principals are and what their priorities are and think of ways to talk to them. and act out with our partners how we would talk with them and how they might respond.

Ms. Gilger gave us a very useful handout of phrases to use when we talk to our principals. I learned about using "I" instead of "you" to take responsibility of what we were talking about.

I think this session helped me out a lot with understanding my principals and how to talk to them. I've always been sensitive and don't always take confrontation well so I hope
I can take what I learned back with me and be able to do a
great job communicating for my students.

Allison Denman
Spring High School
Spring, Texas

4 comments:

  1. This was a very good session. I like Ms. Gilger has good people skills. Allison I hope this helps you when you return home. I am sure you principal will appreciate the "I" statements too.

    Bracinda Blum
    Woodbine High School
    Woodbine, Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Was this ever helpful!!! Although I don't actually have these problems with my "bosses", but this is truly helpful with dealing with helcopter parents and student problems. Yay!-a great hour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The role-playing was really helpful. It made me think about how I approach my boss and that I need to be able to communicate my expectations or solutions.

    Jamie Ray
    Vista Ridge High School
    Cedar Park, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it was a good session. Although, I have never every had a problem managing and talking to my bosses. Now, I sure they have had problems with me. I am very grateful to have had a great friend to work for and with. We talk every day.

    ReplyDelete