Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Greenslate puts teachers to work


Christopher Greenslate, former ASNE fellow, presented a road map for teachers to implement the invaluable pedagogy and real world journalistic experience gained through participation in this institute.
Teachers were able to create vision statements, name obstacles, prioritize tasks and create a meaningful to-do list that will mould their future classes.
This seminar had a lightning-rod effect: I could clearly see how to begin implementing all the things we learn here, and build on those first steps to create an even better, stronger program down the line.
What Greenslate taught the teachers today will resonate with me for a long time; I plan on viewing any updates to curriculum in this way.
It breaks seemingly insurmountable obstacles and big picture issues into manageable pieces. It's just four bits: vision, priorities, obstacles, to-do. It is a great way to break your goals down and accomplish them step by step.

Meghan Brannon-Reese
East Early College High School
Houston, TX

4 comments:

  1. Curriculum was also on my actionable goals list...I just wrote our school's Journalism curriculum from scratch last year, but I now I think I need to start all over.

    Zach Anderson (is getting real tired of signing every post and comment)
    Indian River HS - Philadelphia, NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to put my plan into action and I liked the idea of choosing a few areas to work on before October. I have a feeling I will be in my room a lot between when I return from the institute and when school starts, but I am excited to begin using all of the great information we have learned in a practical way in our own classrooms.

    Laura Schwinn
    Emporia High School
    Emporia, Kan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right Meghan. It was great to be able to take the big picture and break it down into manageable pieces. We are very fortunate to be able to return home with such great resources.

    Jamie Ray
    Vista Ridge High School
    Cedar Park, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,

    I too will be spending a lot of time in my room. :)

    ReplyDelete