Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thou shalt make type readable

Dog legs. Kern. Modules. H&J. Squeezing. Skews.
Out of context, our design discussion with Tracy Collins, senior director of operations at the Arizona Republic, might leave the non-designer with lots of questions.
But odd vocabulary aside, Collins seamlessly took us through the world of design and typography and most importantly, what not to do. I'm looking forward to the next time when I open InDesign and change the default settings, especially hyphenation and justification. I am also looking forward to exploring the online resources he gave us to find inspiration.
But most importantly, it always goes back to readability. If students have to make an effort to figure out what is being said, they won't. I think that will be our first lesson in design.

Newseum
Press Display
News Page Designer

...and a couple of my favorites...
I Love Typography
Typedia: A Shared Encyclopedia of Typefaces

Jamie Ray
Vista Ridge High School
Cedar Park, Texas

4 comments:

  1. I agree, Jamie! This is one of those things that I debate with my students endlessly about because they "like this typeface so much." And if one is good, three or four is so much better. Now I have solid rebuttal info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great links, Jamie! I will definitely be a frequent visitor to the I Love Typography Web site. I'm am going to change the default settings when I get back to school too.

    Laura Schwinn
    Emporia High School
    Emporia, Kan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the links, Jamie. You've been an asset to our group for the last two weeks. Thanks for your input.

    Sarah Geyer
    South-Doyle High School
    Knoxville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the typography links, Jamie. They will be very useful as I try to muddle my way through all the information we have been given during this institute.

    Kim Isbell
    Humboldt High School
    Humboldt, Kan.

    ReplyDelete