Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tuesday Afternoon

On Tuesday afternoon room 314 was virtually empty. Groups were under deadline for their multimedia projects. (Photo by Jodie Schommer)

As the two week ASNE Institute winds down, teachers were under the same pressure as their students.

It sure was good to be put in that spot. To be able to realize what I put my students through was an eye opening experience, yet again.

Steve Elliott is truly a model teacher, who pushed his students to jump over bars that were higher that they thought they could. We jumped and made it. Steve had the confidence in all of us that we could make it. We did.

I will take this back and will implement as many of my 100 ideas as I can. I am going to try to add/change 5 things every year. If I do more, great.

Thanks again for the opportunity. I have never felt more appreciated, trusted, and encouraged.

Jodie Schommer

Lakeside Lutheran Hgh School

Lake Mills, WI

4 comments:

  1. Jodie, you are so right. I have learned so much from Steve's modeling. I am taking notes on how to stay calm and controlled under pressure! We did it, didn't we!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calm? Controlled? Me? Oh man, I need to add a lesson in observation to the reporting section. Thanks for the compliment. I enjoy this experience immensely.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve is truly a model teacher and his willing to help us with video that was not compatible, audio that wasn't working and iMacs that kept crashing made me appreciate his calm, cool presence this week. Thanks for being the instructor that helped us to bypass the technology issues, even despite the final "disappointing" outcome of the video... We learned a lot through the process.

    Tracey Ward
    OLHS
    Powell, OH

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that being put in a situation as our students with a teacher who models the kind of behavior that brings out the best/most out of his (at times unruly) students is a great learning laboratory. I had to leave the baseball game early to finish up "homework"...and isn't that what we want our students to do? Prioritize and get things done that need to be done. But I got my hot dog, popcorn, lemonade, and ice cream. I'm a happy camper!

    ReplyDelete