Thursday, June 24, 2010

"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."

I know, I know. But when you're talking about sports writing, you can't forget about the quotables the great Yogi Berra has given us.
But seriously, Tom's presentation was great in that it gave a most concise presentation of how to write a sports story. I have seen lots of how-to's, but not as succinct as this one. I will forever be in debt for the news in descending order tip and the basics of what info to include. I have sometimes shied away from focusing on sports writing for two reasons. One, we print monthly and timeliness is an issue. Two, I was never really sure what to include in the story. So, now I know! Thanks, Tom. One final thought from Berra, just for us in Phoenix: "It ain't the heat, it's the humility."

3 comments:

  1. The humility of not realizing, until you pointed it out, that it doesn't say humidity.

    Sarah Geyer
    South-Doyle High School
    Knoxville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Donna. I am very grateful at the specificity of Tom's presentation.
    -Kelly Camak

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once a month? We print once a quarter, so we have an even harder time addressing the issue of sports. I did learn some things though, and will share them with the students next year.

    Jenese Giles
    Northeast High School
    Oakland Park, Fla.

    ReplyDelete