Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Manning the Way into the future of Journalism



To end our ninth day we looked to the future with Jason Manning, ASU Student Media Director. He was really big on looking into strategies to direct the use of technology tactics. One thing that directs our media consumption habits is the segmenting of media so that we "only consume what we like."
In order to counter this situation we need to develop greater media literacy so we can become critical consumers. This will allow consumers to decide if they need to hunt around for better or different news. That information is being shared and exchanged on social networks with then react with media sources. The pace of exchange is speeding up, said Manning.
Social media channels used to be verboten in legacy news organizations, but they are fully accepted now.
We then really headed into the future: 3-D web, holograms, programs finding you on the web, and the need for teaching social media to our students to make good decisions.

JH Appel
Chaparral HS
Chaparral, NM

1 comment:

  1. I really like this type of reporting, because there are usually many views and/or angles to a story.

    I am still wondering if there should be some form of attributions attached and or put in fine print to this form of story telling.

    I want to make sure that I don't miss the accountablility part of journalism.

    Even if I know as the instructor that the student did there homework on a multimedia piece.

    Do I need to explain my stats to my viewers, or is it not necessary?

    Like if I say one out five farmers will lose their farms by 2011. Do I need to back this statment anywhere in a powerful multimedia package?

    Bracinda Blum
    Woodbine High School
    Woodbine, Iowa

    ReplyDelete