Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Useful tips for using technology

Mentor teacher Alan Weintraut presented some very useful tip on using technology today. He talked about new things such as Prezi presentations and Google Docs. I am really excited about getting to try these things when I get back.

I have been wanting to learn how to use Google Docs for a while now and need to get on and start trying it out. I think it will be very useful for my students and make it easier to turn in assignments.

I thought Alan's student who talked to us through Skype was very smart and very helpful in showing us around their publications website. I am very excited to get my newspaper online and can only hope I have a student as smart and involved as him.

Also, I just want to thank Brent for being our staff photographer and taking our mugshots for our online publication. I only hope someone took his picture! Did I mentioned he is so silly. See pictures below. He has a great personality and took some great pictures at the baseball game and was even brave enough to venture down to the pool.

Thanks Brent and Alan!


(Brent Manuel of Chico, Calif. showing off his new
Diamondbacks hat before the game.)


(Brent chilling in front of a Diamondbacks
playhouse at the game versus the Yankees.)



Allison Denman
Spring High School
Spring, Texas


1 comment:

  1. Allison, Google docs has been really useful for me because we don't have to worry about having the right version of a story -- you know, the five revisions with the same name -- my students have always had issues with forgetting to send the most recent one, and this eliminates that. We also use the shared calendar and photo apps. Here's a useful presentation of Google docs for English and journalism classes with screenshots:

    http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/educators/learning_materials/necc_docs_spreadsheets.pdf

    Kim Vinh
    Sequoia High School
    Redwood City, Calif.

    ReplyDelete