Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thinking beyond





Today we had the opportunity to diversify our approach as journalism instructors. Rick Rodriguez inspired us to seek out the diversity of ideas for our students. He told us to expose them to stories that force them to experience something "else", something different. He challenged us to expand our own ideas of diversity, and gave us great examples of how we can lead our classes and develop relationships that can change our student's lives.

Next, we had some great lessons in developing a relationship with our boss. I felt incredibly lucky during this exercise, because I have an exceptional boss. Boy am I grateful after reading the board of complaints. I work in a dream land.

That gratitude was further experienced during Christopher Greenslate's presentation. He mentioned his distate for apathetic co-workers. I have had this experience in past teaching jobs, but currently work with extremely hard working peers and I am so proud of all that we accomplish as a team. The exercise we did during his presentation was excellent. I loved writing down my vision for the upcoming news publication at my school.

Oh, and of course- we also peer reviewed our publication stories, and completed our group video vignettes. Wow. I am amazed at the end of a day at all we accomplished.

Now I must rest. I must have energy to cheer on the baseball game tomorrow :)

Kelly Camak

Gateway to College ECHS, RCC

Riverside

4 comments:

  1. You and I both stayed up late blogging! I forgot about the board of complaints. That was a good strategy we can also use with our students when they have something to complain about.

    I really like when Christopher had us writing down our goals and obstacles. I was able to put on paper things that I want to do and now I feel like I can hold myself acocuntable. This is something I want to do with my students the very first week of school.

    Allison Denman
    Spring High School
    Spring, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that writing down our goals and obstacles is very helpful. This is something I think I am going to do with my students too.

    It maybe a good activity to start the new school year.

    Bracinda Blum
    Woodbine High School
    Woodbine, Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the board of complaints! Really! I hae a friend whose son-in-law is an illegal alien. He has tried to obtain citizenship for the past 10 years. He's trying to go through the proper channels and runs into a wall at almost eery turn. Rick Rodriguez told me after the session that if a person goes through all the proper channels, the span of time to obtain citizenship is 106 years! Can you beliee that one?
    Jodie Schommmer
    Lakeside Lutheran High School'
    Lake Mills, WI

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got some awesome take away ideas today from Rick Rodriquez' presentation. I love the idea of encouraging a student to go out and experience something very different to be able to write about it. Christopher Greenslate's participatory journalism idea likewise offered some good ideas.

    ReplyDelete