Friday, June 18, 2010

AP Style

Steve Elliott, Professor of Practice and Cronkite News Service Director at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication spoke to us today about the importance of consistency in our writing.

He went over some of the common grammar and AP Style errors. Elliott showed us were in the AP Stylebook to find useful hints and many AP rules.

I had no idea that you could get the AP Stylebook on the internet or that you could Twitter AP Style questions.

These resources are all new to me. I plan on using the online version of the AP Stylebook next school year, since I currently only have two 2008 AP Stylebooks and one 2009 AP Stylebook to use in my classroom.

Having access to the AP Stylebook online will be very benifical to my students. This will help us be more consistent and accurate in our writing, which will ultimately give our publications the credibility and professional look we desire.

Thanks again,
Bracinda Blum
Woodbine High School
Woodbine, Iowa

P.S. I opened a Twitter account today and joined the ASU Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

4 comments:

  1. I agree great picture. I always refer to the book as the "journalist bible" in the newsroom. Unfortunately having to figure out the guide can and is overwhelming at times. Advisers who do not have the money to buy books for their class should sign up for the online edition at $25 is the best bet for small classrooms. https://www.apstylebook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great profile picture too. My students would get a kick out of it. Thanks.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University

    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bracinda,
    I am AMAZED at your photos and your abilities in Photoshop. I have a lot to learn from you!

    Alyssa Carnley
    Harrison HS
    Kennesaw, GA

    ReplyDelete