Friday, June 18, 2010

Extra, extra, read all about it!

(Pictured above: Statue of newspaper boy holding The Arizona Republic in the foyer.)

We went on a field trip to The Arizona Republic, the official newspaper in Phoenix. We were able to tour several floors of the building and meet reporters, editors and interns. The atmosphere was really relaxed and a lot more quiet than I had imagined it to be. It wasn't nearly as loud as the newsroom on "All the President's Men."

I think it is really great that the professionals that work at the paper are involved in what is going on in the journalism programs at ASU. Some of the reporters and editors are also professors at the Cronkite school. They also have programs that allow students from ASU to be PAID interns at the paper. It is really great for those students to get the real-life experiences of working at newspaper.

It was really great to get to sit in on a real morning meeting with the editors. I think it is important that everyone is on the same page when you are producing a publication. This would be a good thing for our students to be able to do each day before they begin their work on yearbook or newspaper.

Allison Denman
Spring High School
Spring, Texas





3 comments:

  1. The people at The Republic were indeed so very nice. When I asked for some advice on helping the students with ideas, Karina Bland, a weekend columnist, gave me her e-mail address and practically begged me to have my students mail her with their ideas so she could help them.

    Later, when I asked Michael Roberts for some extra information, he apologized that he was in a hurry, wrote down his e-mail address and said he wants to mail me a large stack of information.

    Wow! what fantastic good fortune brought us here, to be working with and meeting such people.

    Nunn Winship
    Warden H. S.
    Warden,Wash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, everyone at the The Republic were so accomodating. I did not feel "in the way" at all and really enjoyed seeing the environment they work in. As teachers we can sometimes feel isolated in our classrooms but seeing their working environment in their cubicles was interesting and different to see how others work. Seeing the news room really made me want to get back into reporting :)

    Alyssa Carnley
    Harrison HS
    Kennesaw, GA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nunn, you have got to send me any information you get from the reporters. That sounds really useful.

    Allison Denman
    Spring High School
    Spring, Texas

    ReplyDelete